Most people on the front lines of health and wellbeing are women and yet most of the executives in these industries are men. This realization led to a deeper conversation with a small group of women leaders in early 2016. Quickly this small group decided to focus their efforts on better supporting women in a holistic and systemic way. Without healthy female leadership, gender equity will continue to stall, or worse, move backwards. With passion, dedication and commitment, GW4W was born.
GW4W knows that quality research is needed to better address women’s health and wellbeing issues. And we need leadership to act on that research. We want the next generation of women to be supported and better prepared to step into leadership positions.
We recognize that:
- Women have different health risks than men
- Most health studies are done with male participants
- Women react to stress, prescription drugs, and shift work differently than men and often have different symptoms than men for health risks such as heart disease
- There is very limited funding for women’s health and wellbeing concerns
Women in the workplace have few leadership role models.
- Only 4.6% of the Fortune 500 CEOs are women
- Less than 20% of top tier executives are women
- Less than 20% of board members of the Fortune 500 are women
There are many organizations supporting women in very positive ways, however, there is no place where the information for these organizations is aggregated and accessible.
GW4W will be better able to support women by:
- Bringing siloed resources together
- Concentrating on funding quality research
- Supporting member owned health and wellbeing companies
- Building connections for women at all socioeconomic levels
- Educating and inspiring one another through ease of connection and deeper collaboration
We want to share the great work being done by women around the world in hopes of inspiring one other. We want to share stories of women that are leading successful health and wellbeing initiatives to build a global network that is diverse, accessible and inclusive.
Whether you’re a lactation consultant, a nurse, a physician, a teacher, a coach, a therapist, a business leader, an entrepreneur or a community activist, GW4W wants to tell your story. Please join us and add your V.O.I.C.E.